hello world!

Hazlewood Act For 100 Percent Disabled Veterans

Last updated: January 26, 2024

The Hazlewood Act is a Texas-specific law providing educational benefits, specifically tuition and fee exemptions, for veterans and their families.

Veterans eligible for the Hazlewood Act must have served at least 181 days of active duty and have an honorable discharge. Texas residency at the time of military service entry or prior to application is also required.[1]

Spouses and children of eligible veterans can also benefit from the Hazlewood Act. They need to be residents of Texas and meet specific age and educational enrollment requirements.

The Act covers up to 150 semester hours of tuition and most fees at public institutions in Texas but does not include living expenses, books, and certain specific fees.

To apply for the Hazlewood Act, applicants must get accepted to a Texas public college or university, submit military service documentation (like DD214), provide GI Bill benefits status, complete the Hazlewood Exemption application, and submit all documents to the institution’s financial aid office.[2]

Veterans can transfer unused benefits to their children, not spouses.

The Hazlewood Act represents a significant milestone in supporting the educational aspirations of veterans and their families in Texas. This guide discusses the intricacies of the Hazlewood Act, a beacon of hope for 100% disabled veterans, offering a detailed understanding of its benefits, eligibility criteria, and application process.

What Is The Hazlewood Act For 100% Disabled Veterans?

The Hazlewood Act is a Texas state law that provides a valuable educational benefit to veterans and their families. It offers up to 150 hours of tuition and fee exemption at any public college or university in Texas. This can significantly reduce the cost of higher education for eligible individuals.

Fast Facts

Beneficiaries of the Hazlewood Act can't concurrently receive federal education benefits that cover the same expenses.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for the Hazlewood Act's educational benefits, there are different criteria depending on whether you're a veteran or a dependent.[1] Here's a breakdown:

For Veterans

  • Military service: You must have served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for at least 181 days, including at least one day of federal active duty.

  • Discharge: You must have received an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions.

  • Texas residency: You must have been a Texas resident at the time of entry into military service, OR established Texas residency before applying for the Hazlewood benefit.

  • Disability (optional): If you have a service-connected disability of at least 10%, you automatically qualify, regardless of the period of service or Texas residency.

For Spouses And Children Of Veterans

  • Veteran's eligibility: The veteran they're related to must meet the same eligibility criteria as outlined above.

  • Relationship: They must be the veteran's spouse (current or surviving) or dependent child, including biological, adopted, stepchildren, or claimed dependents on tax returns.

  • Age (children): The child must be 25 years old or younger on the first day of the semester or term they're claiming the exemption.

  • Texas residency: They must be Texas residents at the time of applying for the Hazlewood benefit.

  • Enrollment: They must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program at a public university or college in Texas.

  • Federal benefits (children): They cannot have federal Veterans education benefits that cover tuition and fees for the term/semester they're claiming the Hazlewood exemption.

Application Process

  • Acceptance to a Texas Public College or University: The applicant must apply and be accepted to a Texas public college or university of their choice. Applications can generally be submitted through www.applytexas.org.

  • Provide Military Service Documentation: The applicant must provide proof of military service and the nature of discharge.[2] This is typically done through the DD214 form from the Department of Defense.

  • Proof of GI Bill Benefits Status: If the veteran has active duty service after September 11, 2001, they must provide proof of eligibility or ineligibility for GI Bill benefits, usually by requesting a certificate of eligibility for federal education benefits from VA.gov.

  • Complete the Hazlewood Exemption Application Form: The applicant needs to fill out the Hazlewood Exemption application form. This form can be found on the Texas Veterans Commission website or obtained through the institution's financial aid office.

  • Submission of Documents: The completed application form, along with the letter of eligibility/ineligibility, a copy of the DD214, and any other required documents, must be submitted to the financial aid office of the institution the applicant will be attending.

  • Register in the Hazlewood Act Database: Applicants are required to register in the Texas Veterans Commission’s Hazlewood Act Database. This registration allows them to track the Hazlewood hours they have used. The registration can be done at hazlewood.tvc.texas.gov. 

Fast Facts

The Hazlewood Act benefits don't expire and can be used throughout the lifetime, up to a limit of 150 semester credit hours.

Benefits Under The Hazlewood Act

The Hazlewood Act offers several valuable benefits for eligible veterans and their families in Texas, but it's important to understand what it covers and doesn't:


  • Tuition and Fee Exemption: Up to 150 semester hours of tuition and most fee exemptions at any public university or college in Texas. This can significantly reduce the cost of education.

  • No Time Limit: Unlike the federal GI Bill, the Hazlewood Act can be used throughout the beneficiary's lifetime as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.

  • Transferable Benefit: Unused hours can be transferred to a spouse or dependent children, maximizing the benefit for families.

  • Accessibility: Open to a wide range of veterans, including those with disabilities and those who served during peacetime if they have a service-connected disability.

  • Combined Use: Can be combined with other financial aid and scholarships, potentially covering all education costs.

What's Not Covered

  • Living Expenses: Housing, food, transportation, etc., are not covered by the Hazlewood Act.

  • Books and Supplies: Textbooks, lab materials, and other course-specific expenses are not included.

  • Private Institutions: The benefit only applies to public universities and colleges in Texas.

  • Certain Fees: Some specific fees might not be covered under the Hazlewood Act, so it's best to clarify with the chosen institution.

Frequently Asked Questions

We've answered some of the most common questions about the Hazelwood Act for 100% disabled veterans to help you better understand this.

How do I apply for the Hazlewood Act?

Apply to a Texas public college or university, provide proof of military service (DD214), fill out the Hazlewood Exemption application form, and submit it to the financial aid office of the institution.

Is there an age limit for dependents under the Hazlewood Act?

Yes, dependent children must be 25 years old or younger on the first day of the semester.

Can the Hazlewood Act benefits be transferred to a spouse?

No, a veteran cannot transfer his/her unused hours to a spouse. This transfer can only be made to children.

Does the Hazlewood Act cover online classes?

Yes, conditionally. The Hazlewood Act covers online classes if they receive formula funding, are taken through Texas public institutions, and the charges are paid to the institution.

Does the Hazlewood Act expire?

No, but the number of semester credit hours is limited to 150 hours.

Can a veteran who wasn't a Texas resident at the time of service entry qualify for Hazlewood Act benefits?

Yes, if the veteran established Texas residency, re-entered the service in Texas, or declared Texas as their home of record at the time of entry into the service.

Availing The Hazlewood Act

The Hazlewood Act is a powerful resource for 100% disabled veterans and their families, offering substantial educational benefits and embodying the gratitude and respect of the state of Texas. By embracing this opportunity, veterans and their dependents can pave the way for a brighter, more knowledgeable future.

Find out if  100% VA Disability includes dental for dependents. Learn more by visiting Disability Help and exploring our comprehensive resources.

Do You Qualify?
Disability Evaluation
Chloe Powers
Chloe works with policymakers on behalf of Disability Help to support their work at a strategic level, ensuring the conditions are in place for creative individuals and organizations to grow, reach their potential and effect relevant, sustainable change.
Do You Qualify?
Disability Evaluation

Comments are closed.

17595 Harvard Ave. C2480-C Irvine, CA 92614
(949) 979-6850
© 2024 Disability Help. All Rights Reserved.
DMCA.com Protection Status
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram